Thursday, July 11, 2013

One year + update

Well, I did what I was bound and determined NOT to do and haven't updated this blog in a seriously long time. I do  have some good excuses, though. I've gotten engaged, married and am due to have a baby any day now! So, while I await baby to make  his arrival, it seems like a good time to bring everyone up to date on where things stand with my foot.

To recap - a little over a year ago, I had one of my sesamoid bones removed from my right foot. I worked from home for the immediate recovery and returned to commuting at about week 8/9 post-op. Commuting for me involves taking the subway in NYC, so it's a big deal.

I'm sure most of you want to know if I'm glad that I had the surgery and the short answer is, YES. I will say that I continued in Physical Therapy 1-2 times a week throughout the summer and into the fall. Luckily my insurance covered most of it leaving me with a small co-pay so it was easy decision. The therapist would give me exercises to build foot strength and work to increase toe flexion and balance. For my day to day living, I feel like my toe/foot is back where I need it to be. I'm a fairly active person- gym rat, moderate to heavy walker (live in an urban area) and I've been able to resume all activities. A lot of you sound like runners and unfortunately I don't run, and can't comment on how surgery impacts that mode of exercise.

Anyhow, I still feel some pain and aggravation, but it's intermittent. One of the reasons I had the surgery done in the first place was because I wanted to get pregnant and had heard that pregnancy changes feet so I wanted to take care of this before-hand. Happily, my feet, particularly that foot, has been pretty good throughout the pregnancy. I have normal swelling, but that area of the foot has not been causing me any particular pain.

For those of you considering this surgery, look into acupuncture. Acupuncture can help with healing the incision and swelling, as well as breaking up scar tissue and circulation in general.

As you all know, it's not a decision to be taken lightly and you need to feel confident in your surgeon, find quality physical therapy post-op (if in NYC area check out Westside Dance Physical Therapy) and consider other healing modalities such as acupuncture.

5 comments:

  1. I live in NYC too and am looking to get a second opinion before going down the surgery road. Can you tell me who your surgeon was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experiences. Its been two weeks since my operation and so far so good. Congrats on the pregnancy and the very best of luck for the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marryanne - I can't thank you enough for writing this blog. I have been in a boot since April (7 months!!) with AVN of the fibular sesamoid (and partial AVN of the tibular sesamoid), plus a neuroma and plantar plate deterioration. I too live in NYC and am seeing Dr. Deland, and we've been trying conservative treatment - orthotics, boot, staying off foot as much as possible, work from home when possible, etc. It has been a nightmare to deal with -- as it was for you -- and I am hopeful that at my next appointment, he decides to go the surgery route. Hearing your story makes me feel like surgery is the way to get my life back, and I can't thank you enough for sharing and giving me hope. There is SO LITTLE information on this issue out there, and it's a comfort to have your blog as a reference. I'm so glad you're feeling better and congrats on the pregnancy!!

    CertainPeeps - I might be wrong, but I believe the surgeon is Jonathan Deland at HSS. He's the chief of foot and ankle surgery there.

    Alan Clarke - I'd love to hear more about your story! Glad recovery is going well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, avoid this surgery at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat Miller — so sorry you are in pain. What are the negative aspects of this surgery? Hope you can find some peace.

    ReplyDelete