Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recap and the 6 week follow-up visit

Obviously, I've been seriously slacking in the blog post arena, so I will attempt to cover the past 7 weeks of recovery! Let's start with a brief re-cap; after my first check-up at the 15 day mark, I started wearing the DARCO surgical sandal which gave me more mobility.



They said it takes about 25% of the pressure off of the foot. It's super comfortable so you feel confident walking in it. However, I didn't feel comfortable rolling through when I pushed off on that foot so I still did the pirate walk for a few weeks. At this point, I was still working from home, so my walking was limited to getting around my apartment and an evening stroll to the supermarket or local deli. I purchased a cane online. if you live in an urban area, definitely get a cane. It does provide support but it also signals to the people around you that you're a slow walker for a good reason. On the flip side, it also signals that you are somewhat vulnerable, so take extra precaution when walking around and know who is around at all times. Preferably, don't walk alone. Living in NYC for 15 years, this is the most vulnerable that I ever felt.

These photos are at the 3 weeks mark. I was able to take the wrap/bandage off and shower without plastic on for the first time!





 I went back for another follow-up at the 6 week mark. This time I saw the surgeon, who at the 2 week mark was on vacation. He assured me that the surgery was textbook, he only took out the affected, lateral sesamoid. He started flexing my big toe back and forth, breaking up the scar tissue and I thought I was going to cry from the pain. Seriously, this was by far the worst pain I've ever felt, period. He said I needed to start physical therapy to get my flexibility back in the big toe and recommended that I go 2-3x a week for 10-12 weeks. Yowza! He said that it will be up to six months before the area is totally settled and that I should continue to wear pads under my foot(Hapads). Also, he said get out of the surgical sandal and start wearing sneakers to get my toe mobility back. When I asked about going to the gym he said I could start doing some light cardio (riding a stationary bike) in a few weeks if I wanted to.





1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to find your blog. I have been dealing with issues related to AVN of the lateral sesamoid in my right foot for over 2 years. It's been 8 months since my MRI/diagnosis which is when I had to stop running - I dealt with pain for over a year before I sought help. Anyways it's been a nightmare. It's been such a shock. I am very active, have 3 small children and love to exercise. I feel trapped with this bum foot. I have found ways to exercise that don't put as much pressure on my bad foot (yoga, elliptical, rowing) but really miss long power walks and of course running and other vigorous workouts. Jumping - no more! I actually got orthotics that work well and have this Morton's extension that prevents my toes from moving too much. It helps a lot! I also wear Dansko clogs with binding around my toes so my toes don't move when I walk. I find that if I flex my foot, pain occurs. So I try to keep my foot flat as much as possible (Which is why walking/running hurt so bad). I also elevate my feet every night for 10-20 minutes and I swear this helps to reduce inflammation and swelling, offering pain relief. Advil helps too but I don't need it as much. I turned down surgery as my pain is lessening over time. I miss being as active as I used to be. But things could be worse. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete