Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 11 Post-Op

Day 11 of keeping my foot elevated 80% of the day (yes, 80%) above my heart. It's not ideal as you can imagine but, I know it's time limited and hey, when else can you just lie around and not feel guilty about it? Normally, I would be running around, trying to fit this and that in my days and stressing myself out as a result. Forced bed/couch rest eliminates my options. I can a) catch up on the many books on my nightstand. b) Catch up on some TV shows I've been meaning to check out. Downton Abbey, btw, is the bomb! c) Start and update a blog for fellow seisamoidectomy candidates. As it turns out, I'm extremely fortunate in that my job as a research librarian for a consulting firm, allows me the opportunity to work from home. As such I've started back to work on Day 5 post-op. It hasn't hurt that the weather has been super crappy...rainy and dreary all week. I finished up my pain meds on Day 8 and seeing that the pain is minimal, I haven't asked for more. I've been putting more weight on it and am able to walk around some. It's not fun, as my surgical boot gives me a good inch over my other leg and when I walk, it's more of a Frankenstein-type of stride. Plus, if I push it and stay on my feet too long, they start talking to me and I know it's time to recline. Crutches help me get around but, but at a cost. My hands, forearms and sometimes my back suffer as a result, so I alternate between crutching around or doing the Frankenstein shuffle. M first follow-up visit is this Thursday. I'm excited and nervous to see that my foot will look like and find out what's next on this recovery journey. Initially I was told that after 2 weeks of elevating, I'll graduate to a surgical sandal and hopefully that will allow me to be more mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment