Saturday, May 5, 2012

The week leading up to the surgery, I wanted to be as prepared as possible knowing that I wouldn't be able to walk very much, if at all, for some time. I compare it to the feeling you get when you know you're going to be away traveling for awhile. You want to make sure the house is clean and your shelves are stocked with everything you might need; food, toilet paper, tooth paste, etc. I was told to be at the hospital at 6 am, Wednesday morning. They called me up to fill out some basic paperwork, give me my wrist band, etc. About 5 minutes after that I was called back to begin the prep. First they had me pee in a cup (pregnancy test), then I changed into my paper bloomer shorts and hospital gown while I waited comfortably on a bed watching the morning news shows. Nurse after nurse came by asking my name, the correct spelling, DOB, which foot is getting operated on, etc. One sweet nurse came by to start my IV - wow, had no idea how painful this would be -- after three attempts, she finally got it in. My boyfriend came back to wait with me and keep my mind off of what was about to happen. Finally, the doctor comes, initials my wrist-band, initials my foot and 5 minutes later, I'm whisked off to the OR. They took my glasses off by this point, so I'm walking into a blur of sorts, but I can make out that it's a large room, big lights overhead, 3-4 people in there setting up with what seemed like a lot of tools. I'm asked to lie down on the table and I literally lie down, the anesthesiologist tells me she is going to do something and within 30 seconds I'm out. Don't remember anything after that point until I wake up about 2 hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment