Friday, May 4, 2012

How the sesamoidectomy came to be

I've always been fairly active, cheerleader in high school, a dancer in grade school and a gym rat from age 17 to present (just had my 39th birthday). About 8 years ago, I started to notice something on the ball of my right foot whenever I worked out. It wasn't painful; it felt more like a slight bulge or bruise and was just something I felt like I wanted to avoid. Over the years I had consulted with 2 podiatrists and a perdothist, each of whom prescribed custom made orthotics and each of whom told me why the last pair I had was no good. I was told I had plantar fasticiis (probably true) and then sesamoiditis for which another pair of orthotics was made. Finally in 2009, it was recommended that I visit Dr. Thomas Novella, a DPM in NYC. I was told he looks at the whole scenario - foot, lifestyle, in considering how to best treat each patient. I was curious to hear what he would recommend for me and hopeful for a successful outcome. After hearing my history and taking x-ray's, Dr. Novella suggested we get an MRI for more clarity. The MRI showed that one of my sesamoid bones had died - avascular necrosis or AVN of the lateral sesamoid. He explained that the bone no longer received blood, that the supply had been cut off. The treatment of choice for this is surgery and I was referred to Dr. William Hamilton. I saw Dr. Hamilton shortly after and he said we have good news and bad news. I held off - I certainly didn't want surgery, I didn't want any down time and the doctor didn't take my insurance. Surely, I thought, there has to be another way. Fast forward 2 & 1/2 years later and after getting two more opinions, I decided to go for it - have the lateral sesamoid bone removed. Two days ago, May 2nd, I had a sesamoidectomy at Hospital for Special Surgery with Dr. Jonathan Deland.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there from California! I am a nurse and I NEED MY FEET. Yeah I have been suffering since October 2012, initially diagnosed with a medial sesamoid fracture in left foot. I was in a a boot for 3 months. Finally went back to work in February and still having bouts of pain (not as bad as initial pain) but enough to start to put me back in that "dark place". I am currently trying to find a second opinion. My foot doc told me the other day that maybe I should go back in the boot but I firmly told him NO. He gave me another option to try a cortisone shot...so far, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference but it has only been 24 hours since I got it. I am just thinking in the long run...thinking that surgery may be the best option for me. So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete